World Stroke Day is used to raise awareness, provide a platform for the stroke community, and drive action on strokes around the world. World Stroke Day takes place on October 29th.
The American Stroke Association shares the F.A.S.T. warning signs of a stroke which include:
F: Face Drooping – Does one side of the face droop, or is it numb? Ask the person to smile, is their smile uneven?
A: Arm Weakness – Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms, does one arm drift downward?
S: Speech – Is their speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence.
T: Time to Call 911 – If you or someone else has any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately.
Additional symptoms may include:
- Numbness – Weakness of the face, arm, or leg especially on one side of the body
- Confusion – Trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble Seeing – In one or both eyes
- Trouble Walking – Dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Severe Headache – With no known cause