This month is dedicated to highlighting the vital role of substance abuse prevention in individuals and communities. This month is also used to remember those who have lost their lives to substance abuse and to acknowledge those in recovery as well as friends and family who are supporting them.
Some helpful tips for preventing substance abuse may include:
- Understand how substance abuse develops
- Avoid temptation and avoid peer pressure
- Seek help for mental health issues
- Examine your risk factors
- Keep a well-balanced life
There are resources that anyone can use whether they’re struggling or know someone struggling with substance abuse. Some resources include:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
- Rehabilitation Centers or treatment facilities
- Counselors or therapists
- Support groups
JJ Safety also provides training for Substance Abuse Awareness.